Merimbula National Events
Important Australian or Globally Famous events that occur around Merimbula New South Wales and you are invited.
Merimbula, a town nestled on the Sapphire Coast of New South Wales, is well-known for being a popular tourist destination. Its stunning beaches, crystal-clear waters, and diverse marine life continue to attract visitors from far and wide. But did you know that Merimbula is also home to a range of annual events? Whether you’re a local or a visitor to the town, here are some nationally or globally recognized events that you can observe in and around Merimbula.
1. Merimbula Jazz Festival: Held annually in June, the Merimbula Jazz Festival is one of the most popular events in the town. With over 100 jazz bands from across Australia and the world participating, the festival is a celebration of jazz music, dance, and culture. The festival attracts jazz lovers from all around the country and provides an opportunity for locals and visitors to enjoy great music and festivities.
2. Merimbula Whale Festival: Taking place in late September, the Merimbula Whale Festival celebrates the annual migration of humpback whales along the Sapphire Coast. The festival is a family-friendly event that brings together locals and visitors for live music, food, and entertainment. Attendees can also take part in guided whale-watching tours, where they can spot these majestic creatures up close.
3. Merimbula Fun Run: This annual event is a great opportunity for fitness enthusiasts to showcase their skills while taking in the stunning natural beauty of Merimbula. The Merimbula Fun Run takes place in October and offers a range of options, including a 2km, 5km, and 10km route. The event is open to people of all ages and fitness levels, making it a great way to spend a day exploring the town.
4. Merimbula Festival of the Sea: This festival is a celebration of the coastal lifestyle that makes Merimbula such a special place. Held in March, the Merimbula Festival of the Sea provides an opportunity for locals and visitors to enjoy local food, wines, and crafts while learning about the region’s fishing and marine industry. The festival also includes live performances, beach games, and demonstrations from local marine rescue teams.
5. Merimbula Classic: This event is a must-attend for surfing enthusiasts. Held in March, the Merimbula Classic is one of the longest-running surf competitions in Australia and attracts some of the best surfers from around the world. With a range of categories to enter, from longboard to stand-up paddleboard, the event provides an exciting spectacle for spectators and competitors alike.
6. Merimbula Rotary Markets: Every third Sunday of the month, the Merimbula Rotary Markets take place in the town center. The markets are a great opportunity for visitors to get a taste of the local community and its diverse arts, crafts, and food offerings. From fresh produce to handmade souvenirs, the markets offer something for everyone.
7. Bega Cheese Heritage Week: While not technically held in Merimbula, the Bega Cheese Heritage Week is a well-known event in the region that draws visitors from across New South Wales. Held in March, the heritage week celebrates the history and culture of the Bega Valley region. With a range of activities, including cheese-making demonstrations, dairy farm tours, and historical re-enactments, this event is a great way to explore the wider area around Merimbula.
whether you’re an avid surfer, music lover, or just looking for an excuse to enjoy the great outdoors, Merimbula has something for everyone. With an array of nationally and globally recognized annual events, the town has become a hub for culture, entertainment, and adventure. So, why not plan a trip to Merimbula and experience these unforgettable events for yourself?